Last month’s post on 44 things the media wish PR pros knew seemed to strike a chord with readers. One astutely underlined the need to flip the script and let bloggers and jounos know the other side.
Here, then, are 12 things I wish the media knew:
- That PR is not journalism’s bitch
- That replying to a carefully crafted pitch, even if to say you don’t want to pursue a story, is VERY important and curries a lot of favour
- PR pros have a job to do, just like journalists – so don’t spit venom and be civilized
- How to spell clients’/organizations’/bosses’ names correctly
- That getting the website URL wrong is tantamount to kicking me in the teeth
- That PR folks have heard a tonne about how much they suck/are a bother/do things that annoy journalists
- That YOU, dear media member, sometimes NEED me and others like me (and vice versa)
- That I cannot always track down a spokesperson in 2 minutes just because you have a deadline
- That PR is not the enemy of journalism
- That people who were never journalists are sometimes better at PR than those who were
- That good PR pros understand the visual and non-visual elements of a solid story and can be a real resource in terms of sketching this stuff out
- That PR, in 2011, is about FAR more than just media relations
Do you have anything to add?